Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Discovery 5-5-12


My husband Tom and I were married November 12, 2011.  Because we work for the same company, it was virtually impossible to take our honeymoon at the end of the year.  So we decided we'd shoot for April 2012.  We did quite a bit of searching and ended up booking an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana.  

Months passed and as April approached we started counting down the days until our departure, which was set for April 25th. 2 days before we left, I started dreaming of the endless Pina Coladas and Strawberry Daiquiris...until the thought dawned on me, what if I am pregnant??  The first day of my last period was April 2nd (I remember vividly because I was visiting my sister and used every last one of her tampons...thanks Meg!) and my next cycle was 7 days away.  I mentioned this to Tom and he told me to take a pregnancy test, duh.  But it was too early!  I wasn't set to have another period for 7 more days!  All of the test I have seen are only 5 or 6 day early tests, and even then only about 68% of women test positive if they are pregnant.  

I figured I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I would just keep the drinks to a minimum and have a good time...   yeah right.  My have-to-know-this-instant personality got the better of me. I decided it wouldn't hurt to pee on a stick.  I woke up very very early on the morning of the 24th and took the test. Tom was sleeping and I didn't want him to know I was taking the test.  I have a flair for the dramatic and I knew he'd be rolling his eyes at me.  After all, I had just stopped the pill at the beginning of February and I've heard it takes up to 6 months to get back on a regular cycle, plus combined with my age (I'm only 33 but in my biological clock brain I was 55 and my eggs had dried up), and the fact that this was really early, I was pretty sure he would think I was just overreacting. 

I stood in the bathroom waiting anxiously for what seemed like an hour, even though it was probably about 2 minutes.  I was using a First Response Early HPT.  The control line popped up bright pink.  I waited another minute and nothing was happening.  It was a little dark in the bathroom so I walked in the closet and switched on the light.  Still nothing...or wait, maybe if I tilt it a little like this, yes there appears to be a very faint 2nd line...!!!???!!!  Could this be real??  What does this mean?  How dark does the line have to be?  Oh wait, maybe there is nothing there. Oh well. No, there is definitely the slightest faint pink line..when I tilt the test to the side...I think...  OH GEEZE just go to bed and stop worrying about this!!! 

I shoved the test in a drawer and as I climbed under the covers I could tell Tom was awake, so I immediately told on myself.  He wanted to know the results and I told him it was too dark in the bathroom and I couldn't really tell.  I tried to explain the faint pink line but he's a man and this confused him.  He flopped over on his side with his head on my chest, which is his non-verbal way asking me to scratch his back. 

We both drifted back to sleep and woke up excited to start packing and running last minute errands before leaving for paradise!  But I still had this nagging feeling.  So I waited until he was busy in the office and I pulled out a new test.  I had purchased a 5 pack of these things about 4 years ago and I couldn't believe I was actually using them!  This time there was a definite 2nd line, still faint, and pretty splotchy.  WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?  I'm pretty sure the instructions state that the 2nd line may not appear as dark as the first, but unless it states all scenarios with which a 2nd pink line could resemble, I'm as confused as a man.  I start googling "faint pink line" and many of the forums suggests that no matter how faint it is, if there is a 2nd line, your pregnant.  I need a second opinion of course.  So I leave the test out on the counter for Tom to see. 

We get busy packing and making lists of last minute things we need to do.  As we were out and about running errands, I asked Tom if he looked at the 2nd test.  My expectation that he would notice the positive pregnancy test sitting on my bathroom counter must have been to high *sigh* (god I love this man though!).  I did, however, get the expected eye roll out of him (god I want to smack this man!).  We just happened to be pulling up at Target, so while he was trying on bathing suits, I went in search of a digital test.  Screw this pink line business.  

We grabbed sandwiches from Subway and made our way back home.  First things first though, I ripped open the box and relieved myself on the little stick.  I put the cap back on and joined Tom at the table.  It was just me, Tom, some sub sandwiches, and a pee stick with a hour glass on the indicator window.  He laughed at me for putting this pee soaked device on the table.  I peered at it about 15 times and the hour glass was really starting to annoy me...JUST GIVE ME AN ANSWER DAMMIT!  And there it was, with all it's glory, one simple little word.  "Pregnant"  

Tom's response was something like, "Well what do you know?".  I'm pretty sure he was more dumbfounded than me.  Ha ha.  He did give me credit for having the hunch and acting on it and this negated all of the eye rolling he had been performing earlier in the morning. 

I was so happy!  I gave him a high five for having Super Sperm (this was the first month we had forgone any contraceptive...and remember in my mind I still had the pill in my system and my eggs were old and ancient).  I could tell Tom was excited when he asked me when I wanted to break the news to everyone.  We decided to wait and talk about it some more over the next 7 days. 

Well the trip was amazing and it was a perfect time for he and I to spend together, alone, dreaming of this new life inside me.  I still got some eye rolls out of him about my extremely sore breasts and the fatigue I was starting to experience.  But I don't blame him.  I am, after all, overly dramatic.  Which is why he loves me.  

At this time, the only person I have told is my sister.  I need that female (non eye rolling) feedback and I love her and trust her to listen to my fears and not tell anyone.  We are still trying to decide on the best time to tell my 8 year old step-son Dillon.  I don't want to traumatize him if something were to go wrong.  I am, after all, only 4w6d.  Perhaps Mother's Day?  My first O.B. appointment is May 15th, so maybe after that?

This is my first blog ever, and I'll continue to update it as my pregnancy progresses.  It's nice to have a way to capture the memories and share them with the ones I love.

1 comment:

  1. We are so excited for this new little life. We can hardly wait to meet you little one. We love you already.

    Poppy & Nanny

    ReplyDelete