Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, May 14, 2012

The Announcement 5-14-12

Yesterday was a very exciting day!  First of all, it was Mother's Day and I already have plenty of reasons to celebrate:  Mom, Tina, Laura, and now myself being a step mom/expecting a child.  Second of all, we broke the news to our families and close friends!  

I had batted around several ideas about when and how to tell.  I thought about telling Tom's local family on Mother's Day, and my long distance family Memorial Day weekend when we would be there to see them.  There was something too plain Jane about just calling up and announcing the news over the phone.  But if you read the previous post "Big Mouth" you'd understand why waiting to tell my family was not an appealing option to me.  So I had to come up with something else.  This is how it went down:

The Day Before Mother's Day: 
I took 2 different "Announcement Photos" using our shoes and our newest obsession, Turvis Tumblers.  

I downloaded the photos onto my Mac and emailed them to my phone and printed out a copy.  



 We had decided to tell Dillon that night, so we waited until just before he went to bed and showed him both photos.  Tom started with the shoes.  Dillon studied the photo very diligently and when Tom asked him if he knew what it meant, he said, "I think so."  So Tom pointed to each pair of shoes and asked whose they were.  Dillon answered each time but when asked about the booties he looked puzzled and said, "Roo's?".  HA HA! Very cute.  So we pulled out the photo with the tumblers and his eyes got really wide and he turned to me with, "Are you pregnant?!?!" and looked at my stomach.  Ha!  So we confirmed his guess and then watched as he jumped around on the couch like a grasshopper with excitement.  He asked a lot of really good questions and some were pretty funny. I wish I had written them all down!  I made him a calendar that stops at January, and for each month I wrote in important dates, such as last day of school, Father's Day, first day of School, Halloween...all the way to January in which I wrote "baby" in pink and blue on the due date.  I wanted him to have something to reference the amount of time we are going to have to wait until Baby H makes an appearance.  I explained that the baby was only the size of a sweet pea and in those 9 months it would grow to the size of a newborn baby.  He asked me if I was going to have a natural delivery, which tells me he knows more than Tom and I thought he would know. Very funny coming out of an 8 year old's mouth.  

Mother's Day: 
Tom and I have been waking up at around 4 am every morning. This is a natural thing for Tom, but a new thing for me as Ive stopped taking my typical "kill a horse" dosage of Benedryl every night.  But somehow we both managed to sleep until 5:30.  Ok I DID take 2 Benedryl that night because of a nasty onslaught of sneezing and the fact that I read somewhere that sneezing makes your cervix open.  But for the most part I've stayed away from my typical allergy cocktail.  Anyway I'm glad for my family that we slept in because as soon as I opened my eyes I was reaching for my phone!  I announced to Tom that "I was gonna do it!" and he just grinned at me and shrugged.  I sent the first text to my mom with a picture of the tumblers and a Happy Mother's Day message.  I quickly followed it with one to my dad, and then one to Tina.  They all responded instantly so we had a quick chat and then I sent them the link to this blog so I didn't have to explain it over and over.  ;o)  My dad had mentioned that my me-maw was with my cousin Amanda so I sent her the photos and asked her to show them to me-maw.  I sent her the blog link as well.  I sent it to my brother and SIL in Atlanta, and to my brother in Florida.  There...that took care of my family and I got the response I was wanting.  Our next plan of attack was breakfast with Tom's mom and sisters, and then I would continue my text message raid on my friends when I got home.


We met my MIL Laura and SILs Madison and Taylor at IHOP (yea for the stuffed french toast!!).  We were VERY surprised they got there at 8:00 sharp!  I figured maybe Tom already told them so they were super excited to see Dillon's reaction...I'm still a little suspicious of this.  But we all exchanged hugs and they sat down and we were having some very light conversation when all of the sudden Dillon blurts out, "Katie's pregnant!" It was totally unscripted and we wanted him to be the one to tell them so it was very cute.  They all seemed to be very surprised and I was happy to be with them sharing our news in person. We exchanged cards and Tom gave them the t-shirts we picked up for them in Punta Cana a few weeks earlier.  I had wanted to buy tickets for all of us to see "What to Expect..." but tickets were not available yet.  Hopefully we can go this weekend when it comes out!  

As I said before, the next step was going to be to send my texts to my close friends when I got home, but all of the sudden in the middle of breakfast I get 2 texts.  The first from Laura, my best friend in IL, telling me congrats.  ???  I should have known...Moms + daughter's first pregnancy + mothers day + facebook = news is out there!  Sure enough I check facebook and both mom and Tina have already spilled the beans.  Ha!  Now I will give them credit that they didn't mention my name, but my dear sister made sure she clarified the situation in the comments section. And that 2nd text was from my friend Sandy in IL and it said "Happy Mothers Day! Are you preggers?"  I responded and she was excited, but it wasn't until later in the evening that it dawned on me that Sandy is not friends with my mom on facebook!  She just has baby radar and impeccable timing.  Crazy girl.  Anyway, while we were sitting at the table at IHOP I quickly shot out a slew of texts with the photos to my sweet friends.  I got to talk to them after breakfast, so that was nice.  


All in all a very eventful day with my news!

I had decided against telling people at work, but what the hell was I thinking?  My dad, my husband, and myself all work for the same damn company.  So this morning I called my boss to make sure he didn't hear it from other people, and I told some close work friends.  From here, I'm sure it will spread like wildfire since I gave Tom the green light to tell his boss.


VERY EXCITED

No comments:

Post a Comment