Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

14 week update 7-10-12

Monday marked 14 weeks and what I would claim to be an official start to my 2nd trimester.  I really thought I would demand some sort of celebration.  Perhaps a cake or a special dinner.  Ended up just having a nice relaxing evening with the hubs.  While it was my first official 2nd tri day, I think I was anticipating what was to happen the next day...My 3rd OB appointment.  I really just wanted to wait until I heard that heartbeat on the doppler before I let myself enter into a more festive mood. 

I have learned to make my appointments early in the morning so Tom can tag along without being totally bombarded with work issues.  We arrived at 8:00 along with an older couple who had dropped in because she had felt a lump (I'm an eavesdropper).  The nurse popped her head out and instructed me to give a urine sample.  I was sporting a white tank and the good ole maternity pants that have the belly band that covers the belly area and rests just below my boobs to help keep the pants up.  The bathroom is located in the waiting room, so I made my way back there and closed the door.  I'm a little self conscience of people listening to me pee so I turned on the water a little.  After tinkling in the little cup and depositing it into the little door in the wall, I washed my hands and opened the door to head back to my seat.  Tom was facing me, and he gazed a me with a strange look on his face and made a motion to my belly area.  While giving my sample, I had to lift my shirt and let it rest at the top of my now protruding belly in order to see what I was doing - aiming into that tiny cup is no easy feat.  Apparently, when I was finished, I pulled the belly band back up but forgot to pull the tank back down.  Thank god Tom was with me.  I don't think I would have known otherwise.  Tom and I had a good giggle about it.  He's continuously amused by my blond pregnancy brain antics. 

When they called my name they led us back to the scale - which typically gives me a little anxiety.  I have not been as diligent about going to the gym as I should be.  So I stepped on the dreaded platform and tried not to hold my breath for fear the extra air would add to the number.  The nurse recorded my weight and announced I had LOST 3 pounds!   YEA!!!   We will not talk about the post in which I had gained 5 lbs and brushed it off by saying my weight fluctuates by about that much in a day...the rule is, gain = brush off excuse, loss = celebrate the wins!!

From there we headed to the exam room.  The nurse asked me if I had been taking my vitamins and iron.  Um...sort of.  Vitamins yes.  They are in these annoying blister packs and they sent me three boxes so they have ended up all over the house, which is a constant reminder to take them.  But the iron pills...they sent those in one bottle that sits on my bathroom sink.  I'm only supposed to take one every other day, so I just forget!!  And being the honest person I am, I admitted this to the nurse.  She scolded me and resorted to scare tactics about having to get a series of shots and intrusive tests if I didn't take my iron like a good girl.  Sheesh!  Tom nudged me in the arm, as if to reiterate what the nurse was telling me.  Like he has to take daily pills!  I got off the birth control pill because I no longer wanted to stress over taking a daily pill and stress even more when I forgot to take it 4 days in a row.  Now look at me.  **Sigh**

Dr. Tydings strolled in and was happy to see me again - I had attended his Normal Labor and Delivery class the night before.  I really like that he offers these free classes.  Gives some insight into what kind of doctor he is.  For instance, I learned he is pro-vagina (anti C-section).  At any rate, he strolls in and asks, "Have you been taking your vitamins?" ...   <insert another nudge from my supportive husband >

He pulled out the doppler and was able to immediately find a heartbeat.  This is a good thing because he then lost it and had trouble finding it again. But I didn't freak out - just waited until he had it again.  What a wonderful sound.  I wish it would have lasted longer. 

That was it!  I go in next week to have all of my blood work done for the first round of prenatal testing. 

OK NOW IT'S OFFICIAL - LET THE FESTIVITIES BEGIN!! 

A few weeks ago, I was thumbing through a coupon book and one particular ad caught my eye.  It was for prenatal massage. I took down the number and then looked back at the ad to see where the place was located, because I'm NOT a fan of driving more than 5 miles away for anything.  The address was listed as 332 Colonial Court.  Wait...  332??  I live at 333 Colonial Court!  What's better than a spa located just 5 miles away?  A spa located across the damn street!  Hell to the yeah!  So I made an appointment and went after my OB Appointment yesterday.  My way of celebrating this completed milestone  :o)

I also went ahead and made the ole facebook announcement.

So far I have received a great response!  I also posted a link to this blog.  I want to take a moment to thank Amy Bonfiglio for the inspiration to write this blog.  Not sure if she is reading, but her story is amazing and she has a wonderful way of putting her thoughts down on the screen.  I need to ask her if I can post a link here...  

All in all, yesterday was a great day!  Further celebrations included a trip to the gym, and stuffing ourselves silly at Tom's new favorite Mexican restaurant. 

Until the next update..

2 comments:

  1. So have you taken your vitamins and iron today?????

    Now I have something to text you every day. Aren't you excited??!!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the vitamins...it is such a pain to remember. One thing I did was buy 2 of those weekly pill boxes (a slot for each day). I put all my vitamins in there and it sits in a place where I will see it often. I can keep track of what day it is so if I look at it and it still has Thursday pills in there, I know I need to take them! :) I got 2 so I don't have to fill it up each week. Just a thought! Happy 2nd trimester!!

    ReplyDelete